Tuesday 13 September 2011

Covering the 36th International Film Festival

The 36th Toronto International Film Festival has been a whirlwind. Between all the films, press conferences and red carpet events - there's barely been enough time to catch my breath.

While I was working for Metro News, I helped one of our staff writers cover a junket or press conference for TIFF here and there, but never had I covered the whole thing on my own. Well, that all started last year. I was able to get accredited by TIFF for T.O.Night Newspaper, the free evening daily paper in Toronto I write for. The application process is pretty lengthy, but definitely worth it once you have your press badge with your name, outlet's name and photo hanging around your neck.

My first year was great. I got to see Ryan Rynolds, Hilary Swank, Megan Fox, Mickey Rourke, Dominic Cooper, Jackson Rathbone and more. The films last year were also amazing, and I actually had time to take in a plentitude of them. Of course, we most certainly cannot forget the TIFF parties I attended at The Brant House and The Roosevelt Room Supper Club.

This year has been no different. Since TIFF enjoyed my coverage of last year's festivities, I was invited to come back out again. Since the festival started last Thursday, I've attended press conferences for Moneyball, Ides of March, Coriolanus and W.E. to name a few.

Moneyball was a fabulous movie. I must admit I wasn't very convinced I was going to like it going into the film. The story was captivating, and very relatable. Yes, it's a film about baseball, really and truly about the sport, but it was touching and interesting. It's definitely on my must-buy list when it comes to DVD. Brad Pitt put on a hell of a performance as Billy Beane, as did his co-star Jonah Hill. It was good to see Hill doing something a little more serious, though he still added his comedic quirks to his character Peter Brand.

It was a film about underdogs, about not being given a fair hand, about recreating and rebranding yourself to make it in any cut-throat industry - whether it's the world of baseball, fashion, marketing or even media. It's about taking a chance and starting over, believing in yourself and your talent. At one point in our lives, we've all had to rethink how we do things. So who can't relate to a film like that?

The highlight for me so far this year, was being in the photography pit on the red carpet for the premiere of Moneyball when Pitt and wife Angelina Jolie pulled up. Now I've covered junkets, roundtables, scrums, press conferences, concerts and other events, but never a red carpet - I had no idea what to expect.

Photographers were lined up an hour early to make sure they got a good spot. Most of them also had step ladders too, something I didn't even think about bringing. It was definitely a learning experience. I met some great photographers who were genuine about giving me red carpet tips. One veteran photographer even took his gorgeous, very heavy lens off his camera and put it on my camera body for me to get a few shots of Pitt. Before he did it, he said "I'm going to do something I've never done before," and then carefully mounted the lens on my camera. I couldn't believe he did that. No one does that. I was very appreciative, very thankful. Taught me a lot.

Even though we're all fighting to make a living, to get the story, we can't knock everybody down in order to get there. We all need a little help along the way. That was one moment I will never forget.

And yes, I also got a few great shots of Pitt and Jolie too! Stay tuned for more coverage about my journey through this year's film festival.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Photo by: Sandy Caetano


Brad Pitt talking to ET Canada. Photo by: Sandy Caetano


Chris Pratt and Anna Faris. Photo by: Sandy Caetano


Johan Hill posing for photographers. 
Photo by: Sandy Caetano



Pretty cool shots for an amateur on the red carpet!


Remember to Stay Sassy!

No comments:

Post a Comment